Being a complex topic, value realization from IT investments requires special considerations due to the modern enterprise's reliance on IT and the sizable nature of IT expenditures. Related surveys consistently reveal that 20 to 70 percent of large scale IT related investments are challenged or fail to deliver any value at all.
Our understanding of the business value of IT investments has significantly improved during the last couple of years due to the related work by the governments, organizations and individuals.
How to make IT investments deliver the expected results without hiccups?
This is a comprehensive training on value realization from IT investments that takes into consideration the full economic life cycle of them. The training brings to you the state of the art value realization methods, tools and practices that are being used by modern enterprises to optimize the return on their investments. The training also covers the templates, check lists and case studies that assist the participants practice what they learn quickly and easily within their organizations.
Best practices from around the world
This training derives its content from frameworks and best practices established by the governments, organizations and individuals worldwide. Some of such notable sources are Federal Enterprise Architecture (USA), CIO Council publications (USA), AGIMO publications (Australia) and CIOB publications (Canada).
At the end of the training, participants will be able to
- Explain the nature of value within the context of IT related investments.
- Establish sound value realization principles within an enterprise.
- Evaluate, select the best and optimize IT related investments using a portfolio management approach.
- Prepare brief and comprehensive business cases taking into consideration the full economic life cycle of investments.
- Implement and follow a comprehensive and highly beneficial process oriented framework to realize the value from IT investments.
- Monitor, assess and benchmark value realization practices within an enterprise.
- Identify, recommend and use ideal enterprise financial practices that facilitate optimal value realization.
- Establish a value realization process governance framework within an enterprise to continuously optimize the processes.
- Chief Information Officers (CIOs)
- IT Managers
- IT Governance, Risk, and Audit Professionals
- Enterprise Architects
- Business, Data, Applications, Technology Architects
- General familiarity with software systems and their role within business environments.
3 Days (~24 hours)
Kamal Wickramanayake (Profile)
- This training is delivered in a seminar/workshop environment where participants will not be using computers for exercise.
- To facilitate easy understanding, the order in which content will be covered during the training may differ from the order of the content given below.
- Economic life cycle of an IT enabled business investment
- Why sound investment management and value realization practices are needed?
- Positioning investment management and value realization practices within IT governance
- Defining the value of IT
- Brief overview of IT governance
- Significance of IT governance towards value realization
- Relating business strategy and goals, IT strategy and goals
- Directional strategies of an organization
- Enterprise architecture principles
- Investment management principles
- Value realization principles
Taking A Process Approach
- Identifying processes required for investment management and value realization
- Value governance process domain
- Portfolio management process domain
- Investment management process domain
- Domain and process goals
- Inputs, outputs
- Process activities
- Roles and responsibilities
Some Notable Processes (Among other processes covered during the training)
- Recognizing investment opportunities
- Defining and evaluating implementation options
- Identifying full-cycle costs and benefits
- Defining portfolio types and categories
- Defining stage-gate and other review requirements
- Establishing investment mix
- Evaluating and selecting programs to be funded
- Managing human and other resources
- Tracking and managing benefits
- Optimizing investment portfolio performance
- Program retirement
Business Case Development
- Using a business case as a tool for value realization
- What should be included in a business case?
- Organization of a business case
- Business case development process
- Following a two stage approach
- Fact sheet development
- Analysis (options, strategic and enterprise architecture alignment, financial, non-financial, risk)
- Maintaining a business case
Monitoring & Performance
- Solution delivery performance
- Outcome performance
- Service delivery performance
- Process metrics
- Domain metrics
- Lag and lead indicators
- Maturity models, benchmark the value realization practices of an organizations
- Governance monitoring
- Investment review process
- Monitoring and reporting on investment portfolio performance
The Finance Perspective
- Capital planning & budgetary process for IT
- Zero based and incremental budgeting
- Internal rate of return (IRR) and net present value (NPV)
- Identifying financial practices most suited for an organization from a value governance perspective
- Cases that need special attention
Establishing A Value Governance Framework At Your Organization
- Baseline assessment
- Establishing a future state
- Leadership group establishment
- Organizational structure
- Establishing reporting lines
- Sustaining the transformation
- Should IT be run as a business?
- Broader practices that leads to better value realization